Happy days! The Karoo’s first e-book store is a treasure trove of spells for armchair travellers craving the soma of those wide blue skies, ancient lands and some of the world’s most fascinating characters.
My wife Jules and I first began to work in the Karoo region of South Africa nearly 20 years ago. We were living in Johannesburg and thought we would never leave this mad but beautiful city. Wrong. Two magazine assignments somewhere in the vast Karoo exposed us to a certain kind of frontier spirit – and space, glorious space. We were hooked, and thereafter most of our magazine work – mainly for SA Country Life – was sourced in the Karoo. Its villages, farms and wilderness areas entranced us.
Jules’ travel journals began to take on a lyrical note, and she wrote with great love about this country’s Heartland. I notched up my landscape photography a level or two and so we began writing books about the Karoo.
When you’ve written a book, taken all the photographs for it, helped with layout and production, commissioned and paid for printers in Singapore, launched and distributed that book all by yourself – then come and have a drink with us.
We’ll talk about the hard work, but we’ll also share the heart-stopping thrill of bringing a good book into the world. Seeing people grow to love it. Ordering a re-print. And then another.
Followed four years later by a sequel, just to prove the first was not just a flash in the pan. And doing it all over again, this time even more independently because the publishing manager (Dominique le Roux of Moonshine Media) you hired the first time around is now living on the banks of the Mekong River in Laos somewhere. But she still mentors us.
In the midst of all this, came a virgin digital adventure called Karoo Space. Who would ever have thought two people could fall in love with their own website?
With the creative talents of designer Neil McCreadie from Cape Town, Karoo Space took on a life and community of its own. Then we branched out into social media and the community grew.
There are a lot of people in this world who love the Karoo. That’s the energy we’ve tapped into.
Our Karoo Space e-Bookstore offers you:
- Karoo Collection – a free sampler of five Karoo books. A generous look-see before you buy;
- Karoo Keepsakes I – e-Book version of the best-selling, award-winning original print book;
- Karoo Keepsakes II – e-Book version of the sequel to Keepsakes I;
- Knapsak vol Karoo I – at last, the Afrikaans translation of Keepsakes I;
- Knapsak vol Karoo II – the Afrikaans translation of Keepsakes II;
- Karoo Life I;
- Karoo Life II;
- Karoo Life III;
- 101 Karoo Towns – a colourful tour, with live links to the best and most relevant websites, of more than 100 Karoo towns, villages and settlements;
- The Journey Man – A South African Reporter’s Stories (Chris Marais) – It’s like sitting in your favourite pub listening to a veteran journo’s war stories;
- Road Tripper – Eastern Cape Karoo – An insider traveller’s companion to one of South Africa’s finest road trip routes;
- Moving to the Platteland – Life in Small Town South Africa – An essential downsizer’s guide to ditching the city for life in the countryside.
Karoo Space Print Bookstore: HERE
Karoo Space E-bookstore: HERE