MADISON SWING is disappointed with the increase in the chain’s GMO products and all the toxic chemicals in their so-called Earth-Friendly toiletries
I choose to eat natural, GMO-free food and use eco-friendly, non-toxic skin products because of all the countless studies that show that pesticides, herbicides, GMO’s, chemical additives and preservatives can cause illnesses so my biggest disappointment with Woolworths is their ever-increasing range of GMO products, which are even now being seen as biological weapons.
Instead of reducing their GMO products in the past 15 years as they promised, there are more GMO products on the Woolworths shelves than ever. Last year there were 130 GMO products. This year there are 232.
GMO plants or animals have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria or viruses or other plants and animals. These are experimental combinations of genes from different species that can never occur in nature or in normal crossbreeding.
These plants are engineered to resist pesticides and herbicides (so that more of these chemicals can be sprayed on them, which we then ingest). The plant may now have a built-in insecticide that kills insects by rupturing their stomachs. Imagine what this might do to us? A study was done in the UK recently where rats were fed a diet of GMO corn. They became sterile, developed huge tumours, severe liver and kidney damage, and died. Monsanto tried to debunk this study until it was discovered that they had scored an “own goal”. It is clear that GMOs are toxic to any living thing. They are unnatural to ingest and it is unethical, and morally wrong to sell these products to people.
And what does *May contain GMO mean? Either this term is used to make the product sound less dangerous or Woolworths does not know where their food comes from.
Like many, I am gluten intolerant, but when you examine the label of Woolworths gluten-free bread, you see *May be Genetically Modified. Not for me, thanks.
Thousands in South Africa and millions around the world marched against GMO products a few weeks ago. Everyone at the march brought up their frustrations with our food system and disappointment with Woolworths that are now even putting GMOs in their children’s food range!
Be careful too of Woolworths’ oxymoronic Earth Friendly range that is full of toxic chemicals. An example is the Earth Friendly Body Wash, which contains:
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate – linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, skin irritation, eye irritation and endocrine disruption. It is also hazardous to aquatic life (definitely not eco friendly)
- Polyquaternium 7: – an environmental toxin that causes bioaccumulation (definitely not eco friendly)
- Benzophenone 4: – this causes an increase in free radicals in the body and the attack of DNA cells. It also may be linked to skin melanomas.
- Methylisothiazolinone: – a chemical linked to nerve damage in the brain, even with very low exposure. It increases the risks of seizures and visual abnormalities.
- Iodopropynl Butylcarbamate: – an agent used in paint and wood industry products, is a suspected gastrointestinal and liver toxin linked to reduced fertility and increased risk of pregnancy problems. It may increase the risk of birth defects and is also suspected to be an environmental toxin.
I am writing this in the hopes that Woolworths will amend their policy about feeding consumers GMOs and putting toxic chemicals in their toiletries that could endanger human health and hurt our planet.
I now buy less than 30% of my food at Woolworths because their organic range is so limited, I have to source my food elsewhere.
There’s a new food revolution brewing and if Woolworths want to retain their customers, they must keep their 1999 promise to REMOVE all GMO food, and create a wider range of organic fresh produce. I speak for a vast majority when I say this is the only way to keep your customers happy and healthy.
The Woolworths motto is “Making the Difference”, so let’s see them make one!