The African bush is a riot of wildlife in summer. Game born in spring is now sure-footed and peppered with attitude. Plants that flourish in summer, after the spring rains, burst with life, attracting migrating birds.
Summer is therefore a magical time to visit five-star Tau Game Lodge in the Madikwe Reserve, where conservation is key. Ever seen an African wild dog and her pups basking in the morning sun, or a lioness and her cubs rolling in the grass, after enjoying a zebra carcass?
Summertime, safari living is easy…
Fast-forward to lunchtime and dining with a wide-angle view of the large waterhole. In the heat of the day, animals have to quench their thirst and as you feast on delicious food, sip your favourite mid-day tipple, you can enjoy watch the pecking order at the waterhole…
Later, after a dip in one of the two swimming pools, or a siesta, or perhaps a revitalizing spa treat at the Tau Spa Oasis, a safari drive with your designated game ranger will open up a whole new world in the verdant bush.
This is the time for game to rise from their own afternoon slumbers to escape the heat and in the case of the nocturnal big cats, start to prepare for the night ahead. This is also a time for the predators to decide where the hunt will take place, while the hunted become skittish.
Before heading back to the lodge to refresh for dinner, you’ll stop at a perfect spot for sundowners and refreshments, always under the watchful eye of your ranger.
Dinner is served in a different location every evening. And whether it’s on the Dining Deck, Restaurant or Boma, you are never far from the waterhole, and the thrilling sounds of the night. Convivial conversations at dinner with your ranger and fellow guests make unforgettable memories.
Early morning safaris are spectacular, offering magical light for photography, with a pitstop for Amarula coffee and buttermilk rusks.
Chef Cynthia Tait from Australia recently spent a month training and familiarizing the culinary team with the art of healthy cooking using organic seeds, vegetarian dishes and globally popular Thai flavours as the Tau chefs continue to create deliciously unpretentious cuisine.
The Tau 2019-20 summer rate valid until end-April 2020 starts at R5,850 ppspn, and includes:
- 3 daily meals, 2 daily game drives, refreshments on game drives and teas/coffees;
- Excluded are the park entrance fees (R180.00 pppn), tourism levies (R10 pppn), Rhino Conservation levy (R150 per person per night)
- Book a 3rdnight and get a complimentary Back and Neck OR African Head Massage (30 mins) per adult at the spa.
- To book, call +27-(0)11-466 8715/17, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote: Summer2019
- Remember Tau Game Lodge’s special spring rate of R3,539 ppspn when booking for three nights, or two nights at R3,932 ppspn, is valid only until the end of this September. In October and November 2019, the rate will be R 4,747 per person sharing per night when booking for three nights. A single supplement costs R4200.